Friday, August 20, 2010

Ventriloquism and Bug Bites

Working as a street ventriloquist is an extremely challenging branch of the art. I took the gig on Beach Street as a way to hone new material. It has definitely improved my work. Doing 4 shows a night to audiences that have no connection to the performer is a lesson. You have to grab their interest as they pass your pitch. Draw them over to watch, then entertain the heck out of them so they will stay. I do 40 minute shows here. Luckily the crowds grow and word of mouth brings plenty of people to my street.

Last night, the first show was tough. The crowd stood pretty far back, despite my attempts to move them forward. During the show, I realized why. The street was infested with small biting bugs. This was the first time in two years I had encountered them here. Trying to do a show and brush the bugs from your face and arms wasn't easy. I lost a lot of people, but I wasn't alone - the other acts up and down the street were having the same problem.

Thankfully the bugs went wherever it is they go before the start of my second performance. The rest of the night I itched like heck though! Thankfully the audiences came closer and the shows were a lot of fun. Especially my last one!

No comments: