Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Dead Guy - Revisited

Every show, it seems like Dangerous finds a "dead guy". The bit has been in my show since I started and the audience laughs - especially the Dead Guy! So for the second time in two months, I was shocked when someone approached me about how I insulted this member of my audience.

It wasn't from the "Dead Guy". I play with people who are having a good time. If they aren't laughing, I'm leaving them alone. The complaint was from someone who "felt bad for him". WHAT?

I asked the woman, did you see how hard the gentleman was laughing? Her reply, "No, I didn't look at him because I felt sorry for him." I wanted to scream, "Its a puppet for God's Sake - a comedy show." But I probed further. She had come in late. She had no idea of the set up, all she heard was the puppet referring to someone in the audience as a dead guy.

I told the woman she should have taken a look at the gentleman to see his reaction. She should have wondered why everyone else was so callous as to laugh at someone who she felt I was degrading. I explained the set up - and she said, "Oh, I can see how that would be funny."

In both complaints, the person who discussed the issue had not seen the set up. So I quickly wrote a finish that addresses the situation. Why is it, that people feel they have to be offended by things that are not directed their way? Why do they feel they need to "protect" and stand up for others who are, especially in this case, able to stand up for themselves? Our country has become overly sensitive.

Other than that - it was an good night in Lebanon. I appreciated everyone who came back to the show. Some had watched me 5 to 6 times this week. I thank them for being there!

No comments: