Saturday, July 3, 2010

What A Difference AN Hour Makes

Every audience is different. Last night was a great example of that. My first show received a good reaction. The second show had huge laughs. Everything my characters said brought waves of laughter. The crowd was huge for 18th Street.

My third show had a very quiet audience. The same jokes that brought big laughs an hour earlier, were only met with grins. I varied delivery of lines, tone of voice, and added adlib moments, trying to bring the crowd to life. The reactions were disappointing when compared to the second audience. By the end of the show, I was exhausted. I had to keep reminding myself - if they weren't having fun, they could have left. But it was rough.

On 4th of July weekend, the crowd in Virginia Beach changes. The town becomes packed. The city added on 50 extra officers for Friday, and will have an additional 100 for Saturday and Sunday. As the hour grew later, the crowd changed from families to older teens and people who had started celebrating early.

I was told at 10:25, that trying to get in my last short show probably wasn't worth it. The crowd on 18th had changed enough that I was told I should pack up and get out of there. So I did. The final show weighing on me because it was so non-responsive. Hopefully tonight will be better.

No comments: