Thursday, July 29, 2010

Adapting

When I was at the VentHaven Convention this year, I learned the importance of a stage monitor. It allows you to accurately hear what the audience does. I've worked with them on occasion, but never really felt the need for one. Until Tuesday night.

With the band so loud, I couldn't hear a music track. No doubt the audience could, the speakers were pointed their direction, but with my hearing problems and the other sounds - I was lost. The audience didn't know, the client didn't know, but I did. I am always my own worst critic. It helps me strive to improve.

So Wednesday morning I went to the local music store and purchased a powered stage monitor. I could have purchased one on line and gotten it by Thursday. While that would have saved a couple of dollars, it would have meant another evening with possibility of a repeat. I could solve the problem instantly - so I did.

Last night included three fun shows with great audiences that overflowed the tent. The monitor helped me overcome not only the band, but the truck pulls that were bellowing diesel exhaust in our direction.

Being on the road means encountering all types of problems. The key to being professional is overcoming them. I'm getting pretty good at adapting...

No comments: