Monday, June 21, 2010

Short night

Sunday was oppressively hot. The humidity was horrible and just walking out the door drenched me in sweat. When I showed up for check-in, I was informed I'd be back on 23rd street and would be working with another act.

That act happened to be Chris Yerlig, better known here as Chris the Mime Guy. He isn't a traditional mime. Watching him work virtually silent, yet draw & maintain a crowd while creating enthusiastic audience responses, was a lesson in showmanship.

Because we alternated, our shows ran a bit shorter than usual, and we were each scheduled for three sets. This allowed a longer break while the other was on. During Chris' second set, I noticed some intense lightening off in the distance. A few minutes later word came that rain was 10 minutes out and we were shutting down.

It was a short night, but I was drained when it was over. The best part was the fact it didn't pour down until I was back at the hotel.

No comments: