Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day On The Road

I neglected to mention this in previous posts, but this blog was started to document my performances and life on the road - so here goes...

My dates at Virginia Beach were scheduled back near the beginning of the year. When I contracted, I didn't look to see that Father's Day fell during this run. A few months later, my sister-in-law set her wedding date for this past Saturday. Its always been my policy that my word is my commitment and the show will go on. The only exception to that would be a death in the immediate family. Now I am re-thinking things.

My wife kept me updated on the wedding as events unfolded. Pictures and text messages made me wish I was there. My godson and nephews were in from Chicago. I haven't seen them in almost a year. They are growing so fast - and I miss them. I kicked myself at the end of the day. The shows were fun, the money will pay bills - but the opportunity to spend that time with family is gone forever.

Today is Father's Day. My son & wife sent cards which reached me at the hotel. I'm not overly concerned about missing the day with them. It is just a day created to sell greeting cards. We have plenty of quality time when I am around. However my father is 85. He's having his troubles and you never know how long your parents will be around. I called, but I need to spend more time with them when I return.

Family time - something to think about...

No comments: