Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Advice...

I struggled with making this post. I don't want to seem vindictive, but the "Youthful Suggestions" episode bothered me. A lot more than I cared to admit. I put my heart and soul into my act. To be openly attacked on a forum and then privately advised as to why I am a lame failure... how do you not take that personally?

These young performers had never heard of me. (Except through the Internet.) They have no idea what I do. I am not known in the magic or vent communities because I am too busy earning a living. Their comments have no effect on my business. Yet they stabbed me.

Today I ran across a tweet from one of my "advisors". I was reading his "life" from the past month:

When ur poor, Taco Bell is ur friend.
My magic calendar is looking thin.
No car, job, now no place to live come...
Sitting at BK, drinking my coffee and tweeting...Exciting celebrity life...
Gotta find a cheap car by tuesday!

I wonder, if he reads this blog, how he will feel. His tweets were posted for the world to see - and I saw them. So here is my advice...

Concern yourself with YOUR career. If you have too much spare time, don't go looking for others to insult, focus on yourself. THEN maybe I will be able to look back and say I should have listened. But right now...YOU should.

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Here,here, Tom;

Everybody is an expert, but your working. I too have had my share of bad advice from none working experts. I am not well known in the vent or magic community, I don't attend conventions ( I am busy working). I always say don't get mad, get even. I get even by doing many, many shows every year.