Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Promoting the show

This coming Saturday will be an experiment. I am promoting my own show in a rented theatre. Professionally, it is known as four walling. I rented the theater, I paid for advertising, promoted the program and hired the opening acts. Hopefully I will earn a profit when all is done. No guarantee.

At one time, everybody in town knew who I was. That's not conceit, it was a small town. Now, the town has grown. I am not known locally because most of my performances involve travel. Five years ago, my show sold out the theatre. Two years ago I split the house between two shows. This time, with one performance, I am hoping to come close to a sell out - but really I have no clue how it will do. I'm not checking with the box office in advance either.

The theater is in my home town, literally a few minutes from my house. We've done promotion through Facebook, posters, postcards, Internet, the Theater's marquee and their newsletters. No radio, no print ads. A local paper with free distribution did a short article on the show. Hopefully these will combine to create a decent house.

Like I said, it is an experiment...

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Best of luck, I hope it works out well for you.Who knows you just might be the next Jeff Dunham.