Monday, October 18, 2010

Walking Away

Today I had a very tough decision to make. Early this year, I had started negotiations for a performance. We went back and forth and the client wanted me. I explained everything up front, and the decision was made to hire me. Then things went to the contracting agent.

I had to jump through a few hoops. Their system required certain account set-ups and verifications of my business that needed to be handled. I did everything I could to make it easy for them.

Today the contracting agent called for a scheduled phone meeting. He had a few issues with my terms. The first, that they do not pay deposits, and final payment would be 30 days following the event. I refused the terms. He went on to explain the clauses in "their" contract, and how I am protected as a contractor. I remained silent, and finally told them no thank you.

When I hung up the phone, I wanted to kick myself. First, the money I was passing up was substantial. Very substantial. So why not agree to the stipulation? Lessons of life - hard lessons.

This event may have gone fine and payment may have been exactly as described. But if not, it would have been a nightmare. And experience tells me I made the right decision - but my wallet was still screaming at me.

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Hindsight is always better than foresight, but when you have a bad feeling about something, it is usually better to walk away. Other gigs will turn up that you will feel better about.