Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Always check the check...

A stupid mistake is costing me money. I did a gig several weeks ago and when I received the check, I glanced at the amount and put it in my wallet. The next day when I went to deposit it, I noticed it was made out to: Comedy Ventriloquist. Duh...

Since I do not have a dba as Comedy Ventriloquist, my bank refused to accept the check. They can be extremely anal at times. I called the client, left a message and sent the check back by certified mail. It was accepted - but I've had no response to the issue.

The organization is made up of volunteers. The check requires two signatures. I can understand it requires a few days to issue the new check. It was my fault for not catching it while everyone was on site. It was their fault because my contract specifically states how checks are to be made payable - right next to the amount.

Today the credit card bill came and I had to pay off the room and gas used for the show. It is now coming out of my pocket - and I have yet to be paid for my time. My calls and e-mails have gone unanswered. I'm starting to get mad. At myself and the client.

It all could have been avoided by taking an extra minute to look. In the future, I will always check the check.

No comments: