Saturday, September 11, 2010

People

With a large audience, when the laughs start flowing, they take on a cadence. Your material stretches as the laughs fill in the minutes. Suddenly, a 45 minute show is over and it seems like you just started.

I've never been "thrilled" when working for small groups of people. The laughs seem fewer, not as loud or as long. I have to work so much harder to entertain. It isn't as easy as playing to the larger audience.

This week I am at a fair that has seen low attendance. The shows have been very tough. Last night when I finished my set, I was glad to be done. When I came off the stage, I was met by most of the audience. They told me how much they enjoyed the show.

When it comes down to it, my job is to make people laugh. This week, I actually had to work at it. Everyone should be so lucky.

No comments: