Monday, October 6, 2008

Home at last

The run wasn't extended and quite literally I was thrilled. I worked my last night at Capri and, although I was feeling rough, poured everything I could into it. Luckily the audience gave back and the show went well.

After being dropped off at the condo, I began the tedious task of repacking show and clothes to fit the luggage requirements of the airline. When all was ready except for my last minute items, I fell into bed for a few hours of sleep.

I awoke at 5:20 a.m. - dragged myself into the shower and slowly allowed the water to prod me awake. As I packed the last of my personal items, I could hear rain beating down on the skylight right outside my bedroom door. I carried my suitcases out to the livingroom and tossed trash and the remaining food into a bag, which I then carried down three flights of stairs to the disposal below.

The rain made the air crisp and fresh - the clouds rolled through the sky giving the morning intensely contrasting colors against the festive buildings. I imagined for a second Playa Del Carmen was sad to see me go - nah. I moved my suitcases down the stairs so that I would be ready to go as soon as the driver arrived. While I didn't look back at the condo that had been my home for the past month - I did stop to marvel at the view from the stairs - I was lucky to have spent this time in such a wild place.

During my drive to the airport, I developed a couple of jokes that I plan on using in my taping later this month - then the long plane ride home. For once, no TSA agent opened my case - no Customs agent pulled me aside. That made it a bit easier - but not much.

I am home now - but no rest. Bills must be paid - my aging parents attended to, I have interviews, a taping to sell tickets for, an act to keep busy - oh, and somewhere in there I have a couple of other things that have to be finished. I feel like I could lay down and sleep for a month - the joys of being self employed!

No comments: