Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crafty Owl?

I've always considered myself an artist. When not performing, I still have the need to create. Between shows I used to carve - and for those of you not familiar with that aspect of my life, please feel free to visit CRafty OWL.

During my shift from magic to vent, there was a time I seriously considered giving up performance to concentrate on carving. I could be at home with the family, not have to deal with non-appreciative audiences, there were a lot of benefits. But I couldn't do it - I needed the fix of being in front of a laughing crowd.

Crafty Owl became a significant sideline for me, but due to the number of shows this year, I haven't had time to carve. I have been planning on scaling back my art shows, and life was made much simpler on Friday. Which brings me to the point of this blog:

The second weekend in October has traditionally been held for Colorfest in Thurmont, MD. It is one of my biggest arts & crafts shows of each year. I go out, set up a booth and meet with people who collect my carvings. Every year I add a few new collectors to my list. The income is usually substantial - but this year, as Colorfest runs, I am sitting here in my office typing.

When I went to set up my booth Friday, I found the organizers had laid out the lot out of order. After years of being established in an area - they wanted me to set up in an area that was not thought out - pedestrian traffic would have been minimal. Because the booth numbers were completely removed from the regular flow - my collectors would have had trouble finding me - if they could at all. I tried to appeal to the lot coordinator - but her response was indignant - she could or would do nothing for me. I was a client and their customer service was severely lacking. At that point, I walked away.

What did I loose? My booth fee. What did I gain? Knowledge, valuable time and my dignity.

First - on a personal level, my time is too valuable to deal with the idiocy of people who have no respect for artistry. It was empowering to take a stand and say - "No, you will not treat me in that manner."

On a broader level, I realize I will still sell works through my web site - and I will still have people seeking out my creations. I also realize that I can not forget how it feels to be a client, and that as a performer and a businessman, I must always go the extra mile to keep that client happy. Even if it means I am not the act they need.

I am not the first artist that has walked away from Colorfest - and I will not be the last. They will always find new "artists" to fill their spots - but just as they don't "need" me - I do not "need" them. And when you reach that realization - you become free to create.

http://www.crafty-owl.com/

No comments: