Sunday, May 30, 2010

VentHaven Ventriloquist Convention

This summer I will open the Wednesday night show at the VentHaven convention. Held in Ft. Mitchell, KY., the convention is attended by approximately 400 ventriloquists from around the world. It brings together everyone from the interested beginners to the pros. The art of ventriloquism is discussed, taught and improved.

When I attended two years ago, I was asked if I would try to get on one of the open mic sessions. I replied that I am in front of audiences all the time, so I'd let those that need the experience go for the spots. The truth is, I used that as an excuse.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I questioned if I was good enough to go before a group of fellow vents and try to entertain them. I wondered if my technique would be good enough, my comedy strong enough. When Mark Wade asked me to do the show this year, I almost refused. I called my mentor, Ken Groves - and he told me to just do what I do.

I'm still nervous about it...

No comments: