Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Corporate Comedian Availability

Some entertainers feel if their schedule isn't filled, they do not appear successful. When the calendar is empty, they offer special "discounts" or start calling agents and clients in a panic mode.

I'm not like that. I do not "hold" dates. My schedule changes in the time it takes to pick up the phone. Truth is, I love what I do. There is little I enjoy more than making an audience laugh. I also place a high value on my free time.

A month ago, my May sat wide open. No shows. I figured there was a reason. There always is. Perhaps it was because my summer is booked solid. Starting mid-June, I don't get more than a day or two of rest until September. I'm NOT complaining! I love to work, but I rationalized May as perhaps I would need that time off.

Two weeks ago I got a call from an agent who wanted me for a corporate event in NJ. I was available and we locked in the date. The next day, a long time client called and wanted a Saturday. Last week, another agent called for two more dates. Those confirmed this morning. May is suddenly a very profitable month.

Now I'm wondering how I'll fit in everything I had planned. Things that should be completed before I leave for two and a half months. I'm going to be busy.

There is more to life than a show schedule. Ventriloquism involves daily skill practices, rehearsals and material creation. There is office work and so much more. Then there is the private life and spending time with the family. It all goes by to fast.

No comments: