Monday, March 22, 2010

I felt like Jeff Dunham...

Today was a blast! My car passed emissions, I was getting things done and I even got my work out at the gym in before lunch. When I got home, the message light was blinking and I got a very nice surprise.

One of my agents had an emergency. An act that was supposed to arrive in Washington D.C. was having trouble with his flights. The question was: if I was available, could I be on stand by and could I fill in if he couldn't get there. The answer was sure, happy to help.

About 3:30, I got the go ahead. I felt bad for the act who was stuck, but it was perfect timing on my end. I hopped in my car and drove to the venue. From the moment I arrived on site, I was treated like gold. I knew this was going to be a great evening.

The room was huge, had to hold about 1,200 - a guess since I didn't ask and didn't count tables, but there were a lot. The far wall was draped with two large projection screens on either side of the staging. The sound guy took care of all my needs including finding me a boom stand which wasn't around. The video camera operators went over my act with me to get an idea of where the camera shots should be.

After setting up, I was taken to the "VIP Green Room". Very sweet, just me and a big screen, comfy couches and chairs, mirrors, desk and private restroom. The wait staff brought me waters and asked what else I needed. They inquired about the serving of my meal and sure enough, a great dinner arrived on time.

When I hit the stage, it was FUN! As I turned, I'd catch glimpses of the big screens doing close ups of the puppets or a beautifully framed two shot. It was an evening where everything fell perfectly into place. Okay, it wasn't a stadium, and the projection screens combined may have matched the huge one Jeff uses. But tonight - I was in ventriloquist heaven!

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

That is such a kick, having the big projection screens. I have only had that happen to me once, but I felt like a rock star.