Tuesday, July 28, 2009

You Can't Please All The People...

Finished last week at Burlington Farm Fair in NJ. It is a great little fair and the shows were a lot of fun. Had a day off, then went to Point Pleasant Beach for a show that is performed literally on the beach. I had a very large audience, some of who saw me last year and returned when they saw I was on the schedule. Afterward I met a lot of great folks and enjoyed chatting with them.

This morning I found a rather surprising e-mail in my spam folder. A mother who saw my show at Pt. Pleasant was offended. Mind you, I do not use any foul language in my act. Although some clients advertise me as a kids show - I flatly state that I am a family show to PG-13. I tell clients what I do; they can see my videos. Pt. Pleasant advertises the program series as a Kiddie event. My comedy is aimed at all ages. I'm a comedian ventriloquist, not Sesame Street.

Usually a letter such as this would upset me. This morning, not so much. My act hasn't changed from the last few months. It has been drawing good crowds, often filled with people who have seen the act time and again. Parents even bring their kids back for multiple shows. This is the first complaint I've gotten in a long time. Comedy, by it's very nature offends someone.

Did I feel bad? Sure, I sent the woman a reply and apologized for the fact she was offended. I also told her not to attend my shows in the future. I'd hate for her to be offended while the other 300+ people are laughing...

No comments: